WEEE Ireland facilitates the collective take back of this e-waste for free recycling via our Blue Battery Box System.
Disposable, single-use, rechargeable vape and/or e-cigarette devices can contain batteries and are EEE products (Electronic and Electrical Equipment) both of which should be recycled when they reach the end of life. WEEE Ireland facilitates the collective take back of this e-waste for free recycling via our Blue Battery Box System.
Retailers of Vapes & E-Cigarette Devices:
- Retailers are obliged to take back disposable, single-use, rechargeable vape and/or e-cigarette devices on a one-for-one, like-for-like basis in-store or on delivery
- Retailers can recycle these waste devices in WEEE Ireland Blue Battery Boxes
- Retailers can request delivery and collection of Blue Battery Boxes here
- Newsagents can order delivery and collection of Blue Battery Boxes directly from Newspread
Consumers and users of Vapes & E-Cigarette Devices:
- End-of-life disposable, single-use, rechargeable vape and/or e-cigarette devices can be recycled for free wherever you see WEEE Ireland Blue Battery Boxes
- The crossed-out ‘wheelie bin’ symbol on these products highlights that they should never be placed in household waste for disposal, rather they should be recycled
- Rechargeable vaping and e-cigarette devices can be recycled correctly if the Tank is removed prior to recycling
- You’ll find WEEE Ireland Blue Battery Boxes in most newsagents, supermarkets, electrical retailers and Local Authority Recycling Centres/Civic Amenity Sites
Always recycle waste electricals and batteries safely.
Why Recycle Waste Electricals and Batteries?
Authorised waste electrical and battery recycling protects our environment and human health from harm, supports climate action and ensures the recovery of valuable resources helping to achieve a truly circular economy.
Being more resource efficient with e-waste through authorised recycling is a simple yet sustainable way to support a more circular economy in Ireland. These products and devices contain a large variety of materials, ranging from base and precious metals to plastics, as well as critical raw materials (CRMs).
83% of all material collected by WEEE Ireland has been recovered for use again in manufacturing through certified Irish local operators and specialist processors in Europe. These stocks of resources are the urban mines of the future and recycling these products at end-of-life prevents these resources going to landfill, being illegally dumped, exported, or handled by unauthorised operators - having a
significant impact on the environment today.
It is also important for Health & Safety that we recycle lithium batteries correctly.